Saturday, April 7, 2012

Fallacies are Among Us!

I was walking to campus with my friend a month or two ago and we were both explaining to eachother why neither of us ate breakfast. I gave her a rundown of my crazy morning and why I didn't have the time to eat. Jokingly, she replied, "Yea right. You are just still anorexic, aren't you?" I immediately thought, "Complex question fallacy... complex question fallacy!" Okay, not really though, because I couldn't remember the actual name of the fallacy. But, I did recognize it as a fallacy, and I told her straight up! Yes, that put her in her place. ha ha. My point of all of this though, is that fallacies are everywhere! They are in politicians' addresses, our friends' remarks, and yes, even our beloved toilet paper commercials. The important part then, is to be able to recognize them as such and thereby, make an informed decision about what toilet paper to by, for instance, without being inappropriately influenced save with our active consent (though knowledge of the fallacy and what it is trying to accomplish--and our decision in spite of it).

No comments:

Post a Comment